Are you interested in cannabis and are ready to take your knowledge of it to the next level? If you’re used to just taking hits from a bong or smoking joints, we encourage you to read on. Today, we’re going to share with you how to smoke shatter the easy way.
Smoking shatter isn’t rocket science. All you need is some expert advice, and you’d be able to take your weed consumption to a whole new level. Regardless if you have a rig or not, we’ll show you how it is done the easy way.
What Exactly Is Shatter?
Good question! In case you’re not 100% sure what shatter even is, we’re about to debunk the facts around this super concentrated product and teach you just how to smoke it.
Basically, shatter is a form of weed that has a super-high potency. It’s not unheard of for shatter to top out at an impressive 80% cannabinoid content.
Shatter is actually the purest form of cannabis and is characterized by having a glass-like, almost transparent amber color. It also has some of the highest terpene content of all available concentrated extractions. Shatter not only provides an intense high, but it is also a long-lasting one.
Background on Concentrates
It’s safe to say that we could probably write a whole separate guide on concentrates, so, for now, you will just have to make do with a quick overview. Concentrate cannabinoids and terpenes (THC and CBD) are extracted from marijuana plants. It is these molecules, in particular, that are prized for their psychoactive effects by cannabis enthusiasts.
Because they contain much more potent levels of concentrated chemical actives, their effects are significantly more pronounced. Concentrates can be used in hash, resin, wax, crumble, THC distillate, and the subject of today’s guide, shatter.
How to Smoke Shatter With and Without a Rig
There are a couple of popular methods of burning shatter for your enjoyment. While there’s no right or wrong way as such, some of them are better suited to the activity.
We want to educate you as to the optimal methods, so we’ll attempt to break down the relative benefits of each process. In that way, you are fully informed and can make a decision as to which method is best for you. We’ll be focusing on three different processes, both with and without a rig.
Method 1: Adding Shatter to Your Joint
We’re kicking off with the most straightforward option and one that doesn’t require any additional paraphernalia. If you don’t have a rig, that’s no problem. With this method, you don’t need anything other than your packing materials and rolling paper.
Keep things simple by simply adding shatter to your regular rolled joint. For the best results, position the shatter on top of your flower of choice, preferably in a snake-like shape as you roll up your joint. As you can see, it really is that easy.
You might also consider switching things up a gear, getting creative with your rolled-up joint by turning it into a piece of art. A snake shape is one of the easiest to achieve, and because of the consistency of shatter, it’s easy to manipulate. A bit like kids play-doh is.
In the end, it really is up to you how much and how you position your shatter. Just remember that it is potent, so perhaps be careful not to be too heavy-handed when it comes to its placement as well as the amount that you add.
Method 2: Vaping and Vaporizing
Next, we’ll be talking about dabbing as distinct to vaping or vaporizing. The process is similar in that they both create smoke or vape. The vital factor to consider, which will affect your overall outcome, is the heating temperature being applied to your shatter.
If you want more smoke, you’re better off with a vaporizer as opposed to a vaping pen, which will only produce a small amount of smoke. Compact and portable vaporizers are increasingly popular, not least because they also offer the advantage of discretion.
If you are one of the many people who regularly smoke shatter for medicinal and health-related purposes, you will appreciate the portability of a vaping pen. These vaping pens and vaporizers are available to purchase in a wide range of styles, shapes, and sizes too. For smoking on the go, there are plenty of products to choose from, with everything available from dry herb vapes to extract vapes.
Besides those two popular options, you can also opt for a table-top vape or a dual-function style that has the capability to take both flowers as well as extracts. Depending on how much versatility and portability you require, it will determine which style of vape is best suited to you. Please also note that the style of vape will also affect the heating style.
Method 3: Dabbing
If you have decided that you’d prefer to “dab” your shatter, then you are going to need to invest in a glass-like bong device, which is referred to as a rig. These oil rigs are very popular and additionally contain a vertical glass chamber alongside a mouthpiece and a hole, which is where the nail is inserted.
This nail or pin is heated via either an internal built-in eclectic device or an external butane torch. You need to wait for the nail to heat first, then with a pick, dab your shatter onto the nail. The resulting combustion creates a plume of thick shatter-infused smoke, filling up the entire glass chamber.
All you need to do is inhale and enjoy the smoke produced. You may find that you have some oil left on your nail after a dabbing session. You have two choices when it comes to deciding what to do with this excess shatter oil. Either go for another blast with the torch until you’ve used up all the remaining shatter or wait until the goods begin to clog up your rig and then clean it.
Cleaning Your Rig After You’ve Smoked Shatter
If you are smoking shatter with a rig, it is imperative that you thoroughly clean it to ensure the smooth long-term operation of your equipment. Not just that, but if you don’t clean it out correctly, it could end up affecting the flavor of any subsequent smoke you produce.
If you are cleaning out any parts with an isopropyl alcohol solution, be sure that all traces of alcohol are removed. We recommend you boil your rig in hot water to remove all remnants of any alcohol thoroughly.
How Not to Smoke Shatter
So far, we have been teaching you how to smoke shatter the easy way. Before we sign off, it’s also worth educating you on what not to do. Experimenting with shatter can be made all the more enjoyable and safer if you pay attention to our recommended do’s and don’ts. Check out our top tips below.
- When dabbing shatter, wait for at least 10 minutes after your first dab before you take another. Even if you don’t feel the immediate effects, they will come, so give yourself time and space for this process to take full effect. Typically, you will experience an impact immediately depending on your body size and composition, but the results may take a full 10 minutes before you reach a climax.
- Make sure that your shatter is adequately protected by always storing it the right way. You need not invest in anything fancy, although there are lots of purpose-designed cannabis storage containers available.
- At the very least, use a durable, well-sealing silicone container that will house your contents safely and securely. You’d also want to make sure that the container you choose keeps them dry. You can also pack and take your containers with you when you’re on the move.
- Experiment with the varied types of concentrates available on the market and enjoy finding out which one you prefer the most. You might be surprised to discover a new favorite.
- We highly dissuade using the hot knife method when smoking shatter. Yes, it works, but it can be risky and challenging for the uninitiated. Hot knifing is the process of heating up two butter knives over a stovetop until they’re red hot, then sandwiching your shatter between them. This process encourages the shatter to combust and produce smoke, which you can then subsequently inhale. Heating up hot knives is never a good idea, so we don’t recommend you try this at home.
- We also strongly advise against using the electric car lighter method, especially if you value your life. Just like the hot knife method, we know that it is occasionally used when the need to smoke arises, but it’s really not advisable.
- This requires a car lighter to start. Add to that a plastic bottle, heat, and smoke in an enclosed environment, and you have a recipe for disaster. One again, this method is not recommended.
- Avoid feeling like you’ve been pressurized by your peers into advancing onto a level in your cannabis-taking journey that’s a step too far for you. Concentrates are potent and by no means suitable for everyone, so perhaps shatter just isn’t for you.
- Don’t be afraid to speak up and say no if you feel like shatter or any other concentrate is not for you. Just as you are doing now, continue to educate yourself. In that way, you can make a fully informed decision when the time is right as to whether you are ready to try shatter for yourself.
How to Know If Smoking Shatter Is Right for You
Finally, allow us to give you a few more tips before you decide to experiment with and smoke shatter. As we have already mentioned, shatter is not for everyone, and even though you now know what it is and how to smoke it, don’t feel pressured to give it a go.
Understand Your Own Tolerance
It is safe to say that shatter is one of the most potent concentrates currently available, and it may just be too intense for your body composition. Make sure that you always operate safely within your own limits and manage a comfort zone, especially when you are trying out something new for the first time. This sounds obvious, but remember only to use shatter as you would cannabis—responsibly and safely.
Understand How Shatter Is Actually Made
If you have any safety risks or concerns, make sure that you fully understand and appreciate how the shatter you intend to use has been made. It’s a chemical process and not something that should be left in the hands of the inexperienced.
Shatter is typically extracted using butane oil, so be sure to check with your manufacturer if they are operating safe practices and following strict guidelines when it comes to filtering out potentially harmful chemicals. We understand that it’s not always practical or possible to know the source of your shatter, but it pays to be as informed as possible.
Understand Why You Want to Smoke Shatter
This is an important consideration and one that shouldn’t be overlooked. What purpose and intention do you have behind experimenting with shatter? Is it recreational or health-related?
Always know your reason why, as this will help you make better-informed decisions around your consumption and keep you safe. Be realistic about the amount you can tolerate, and do your research and homework thoroughly into what concentrates are currently available.
By now, you should have a good level of knowledge about smoking shatter safely and comfortably. Pay attention to our recommended dos and don’ts, and get clear on your own reason why. Only after checking in with yourself should you decide whether you prefer to smoke shatter, either with or without a rig.
As we always say, the best way to enjoy your smoke is to make sure that you are safe, have a comfort zone, and that you appreciate your limits. Enjoy the experience in a controlled and clean, relaxing environment. Lastly, and possibly the most important of all, always smoke the finest and best quality products possible.